Summer is officially here and if you’re a new mom like I am, there are many reasons to be excited. Summer usually means the start of many fun traditions as a new family. While you’re thrilled to spend some pool time with your little one, or you’re looking forward to introducing your baby to the joys of the sand and the waves, you may not be as excited to prance around in your swimsuit.
Here are a few guidelines on preparing for beach time and selecting the perfect suit to making your comeback as a new mother:
- Get to know your body, again. Let’s face the facts; your body has been through a LOT. Whether or not you have lost all the baby weight, your body will never quite be the same as it was before you got pregnant. Get to know your new flaws – so you can find the best solutions. Celebrate your new found curves – so you can find the best way to accentuate them. You can only find the perfect suit if you know your new body well.
- Find the right support. One of the upsides as a breastfeeding mom is an ample sized chest. Feel free to flaunt them but make sure you have the right support and coverage!
- Bandeau Tops: Go for styles with underwire or molded cups with foam padding. For an extra measure, look for styles with removable straps to prevent the occasional slip-up.
- Go for halter tops that offer enough coverage for your larger cup size. Thick straps that tie behind the neck and behind the back offer the best support.
- Always opt for padded swimwear. The last thing you want to worry about is leaking breasts when you’re out and about with your baby on the beach.
- Find a forgiving suit. If you’re like most women who have just given birth, the most common problems post partum are stretch marks and a sagging or soft tummy. For this specific problem, its best to find a suit or bikini with special features to “forgive” this issue.
- A one-piece suit with tummy control features does wonders for the post partum body and miraculously sucks in your stomach for you.
- Take advantage of the fashion-forward high waist bikinis available today to conceal those stretch marks and show off some retro flair at the same time.
- Look for suits with ruching detailing around the waist. The ruching does wonders in hiding bumps and bulges that even a one-piece suit might expose.
- Color selection is key. The darker the colors, the slimmer you will look so let’s take all the help that we can get from dark and deep hued suits! Opt for solid colors. If you must do prints, go for small fine prints versus big bold designs.
- Cover up! Match all your swimsuit selections with cute kaftans or beach cover-ups. Not only are they glamorous complements to your swimwear, but they’re the perfect things to slip on when you’re out of the water. Opt for lightweight and breezy chiffons so you can be comfortable playing with your little bubba by the pool or on the sand.
Heading back to the beach post partum can be a daunting ordeal for most moms so try to do something nice for yourself to boost your confidence. Aside from finding the perfect suit for you, be sure to treat yourself to a full-body scrub, indulge in a facial, or get some luscious highlights. Embrace your new body and be proud of your battle scars. They only make you more beautiful.