13 Cents of Enjoying your Breastfeeding Journeys and Milestones towards Discovering What’s Natural for You and Your Baby
Since I am gratefully celebrating my 13th anniversary this August 2019, here are my ’13 Cents of Enjoying your Breastfeeding Journeys and Milestones towards Discovering What’s Natural for You and Your Baby’:
- Not everything that you’ve been told will work on you. Think of what’s practical and what works for you and your baby. Ask help from the expert.
- Make decisions for yourself and go back to basics.
- Enjoy your Breastfeeding journey from Day 1. It’s not the same when your baby was still in your tummy… So, you need to slow down as your body adjusts, recuperates and nurtures itself again.
- Don’t give up too easily. Getting closer to your goals will give you the sense of joy and fulfillment.
- Remember, you have all that it takes to be the mother that you desire for your child. If you don’t have the confidence of producing enough milk for your child then surely, you will end up giving a back up milk.
- Learn to be your biggest supporter. Team up with your husband too.
- You don’t need someone else’s permission or go signal even from your doctor. Nowadays, the barriers in being firm to pursue what’s natural are numerous. There are many options out there but it’s best to have “informed choices”.
- Be the mom who you want for your baby. Do not be pressured in following the ways of your mother in nurturing your baby during the first 3-6 months to 1 year.
- Don’t settle for what is less and do not be swayed by denials. Even if you were given supplement (easy milk) when you were a baby and it was not harmful to you, still try to breastfeed your child.
- Keep going even if you’re unsure, it’s painful, tiring, exhausting and most of the people around you are saying that you resort to back up milk (easy milk).
- Know why you want what you want. Set goals so you have the drive to achieve them.
- Don’t give up too easily. The first three days are critical for a mom to continue breastfeeding (nursing direct) despite inevitable pain like sore/ scabbed or bleeding nipples as well as engorged breast. And last but not the least….
- Go GET HELP! Call a Breastfeeding Coach because you need one. You don’t need to wait for any serious problem to do this.
One thing that I am sure of and thankful for is that I am passionate of empowering breastfeeding/lactating women. I don’t impose or just say do this, do that and do only this. It is always about asking mothers, ‘Why you want to breastfeed? What is your source of motivation? How does breastfeeding benefit you and your precious child?’.
There are varying significant things that every mother experiences while going through motherhood, and as a mother to mothers and babies of all races, I always hold on to my principles of listening and anticipating the needs of each and every mom.
I always marvel at the wisdom of the process wherein Mothers and their Babies can nurture each other both physically and emotionally. And how a woman’s body is able to produce the perfect food called Breast Milk.
❤ Coach Z